Thursday, September 27, 2018

Reading Independently :)

Teaching my students to love reading is one of the most important goals I have as a teacher. I am an avid reader and CONSTANTLY have my nose stuck in a book. I have been that way since I was a young child. I even used to sneak a flashlight in my room to read under my covers at night!

Even though it is out of my comfort zone, I have pushed myself to read aloud silly stories each morning to the kids and do so in crazy voices and with huge expressions. This has easily become one of our favorite times of day. I tell them to "snuggle up" and I sit in my grandma's rocking chair that was given to me. This chair has been in my aunt's classroom, older sister's classroom, and now mine!

This year, my students absolutely ADORE reading. They are hungry to learn, and constantly are asking to listen to stories. This week, I've started teaching them to read independently. This means they look for sight words or sound out words in phonics books, or they take a "picture walk". They look at pictures through the story to try and figure out what might be happening. Even though they may not be able to fluently read on their own, they are "reading" and learning to love books. :) I am SO excited by this, and it seems they are too! I spread them out in comfy spots, let them choose a few books, and turn on piano music... The rest they do on their own!










Hopefully their love for reading continues throughout their entire life, as mine certainly has! 

Thank you to those of you that came out to MOD pizza for spirit night! It was an AMAZING turnout! 

Also... had to add our sweet recess snuggles from this week. Anxiously awaiting the day we stop melting outside!! :)





No comments:

Post a Comment