Monday, August 22, 2016

Growing Our Love for Reading Early

Reading is one of those things that parents sometimes dread teaching. They sit through book after book of "c....c...ca....cat!" Trust me...I sit through it, too.

BUT.

Have you ever seen their eyes light up when they start to recognize words by sight? When they understand the plot of a story? When they make a connection to a text? Because I've also done that. And let me tell you...It is magical! One of my favorite things to hear while teaching is, "Ms.Hirst! Do you want to hear me read this to you?"

I get it. Sometimes, you just don't have the time. It's been the Monday of all Mondays and you just want to get the kids in bed and unwind. But by reading a book aloud to them, talking about it, letting them make up their own story, practicing their sight words just ONE more time...you are creating that magical moment when their eyes will light up, and they can read. Trust me, again...It's totally worth it.

If you ever need help with reading strategies, books on their level, or ideas to get the conversations started...Please reach out to me! I am hear to help you in this PARTNERSHIP that is your child's education! :)














No comments:

Post a Comment